If you're talking about using Lpr it will indeed. At this point in Cups'
developement, as far as Canons are concerned at least, Lpr is still the
method of choice. At least for those who wish to retain more then 70% of
the sanity they were born with while they're still under the age of 80!

Please don't get me wrong. I think Cups is a good thing...as long as
you're not using, or trying to use a Canon printer. Where HP is concerned
you can't beat Cups with a stick. Not even a pair of sticks. Drum sticks
that is...and you know who you are!

Anyway, I firgure it this way. Those of us that are hell bent on sticking
with our Canon printers are just going to have to stick with using Lpr
until Mandrake version 8.1 is in full release. That would be at least by
Summer 2002 easy. By then Cups should be a killer printer support
platform. ACtually I think Canon should have stuck with making Cameras and
never gotten into the printer market. And I should have my head examinded
for friggin buying one.

After this it will be HP for me...or an Epson. Now THOSE are printers.

O, and by the way. You can very easily and quickly install a printer using
Linuxconf to print with Lpr. Only thing is you have to make sure that
Cups, Qtcups, Kups and anything else C,K-ups in it is totally uninstalled
from the system before you will be able to install and use a printer with
LPR. That just da way it is.

        rpm -qa | grep cups

Issue the above command in a terminal to see if you have Cups of any kind
installed on the system. This will catch qtcups as well. then issue this
command to uninstall those packages from the system.

        rpm -e -force <package-name> *use the -force argument only if
                                        necessary

                                     *where <package-name> is place
                                      the name of the package listed
                                      from the rpm query.

                                     *package name MUST entered exactly
                                      as it appears in the output

        rpm -qa |grep Kups

Do everything for Kups packages that you did for Cups packages. The
procedure is the same. Then Open Linuxconf->Miscellaneous
services->Printer->Add/Edit printers->Add.

You will be prompted to create a printer when you do you will then define
that printers properties. When you click on that printers name in the
little box you can further define that printer. There is a panel with 3
tabs across the top. On the first tab you define the max file size. On the
second tab you choose the device:

                        /dev/lp0
                        /dev/lp1
                        /dev/lp2
                        custom

Lp0 is the typical and default choice. 3 and last tab is where you choose
the printers filters, resolution, paper size, and quality. The most
important of these though is the filter. Choose the wrong filter and you
won't see your printer printing...anything!

That's really all there is to setting up print services using Lpr and
Linuxconf. Quick...cool...and clean! And the friggin thing works with my
Canon!!!

--
Mark

"If you don't share your concepts and ideals, they end up being worthless,"
        "Sharing is what makes them powerful."