Hey Jacqueline et al,

> Thanks to Meph and others who replied to my original question.
> I've looked a little further and can give some more details, so
> I am going to send this again.  Does anyone know what DB2
> refers to?????  All I want to do is _get rid_ of the following
> daily message:

>     From:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anacron)
>     To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     Subject:   Anacron job 'cron.daily'
>     DB2 problem...: Missing or empty key value specified
>     slocate:  this is not a valid slocate database:
> /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db

  Let me throw in a little more here.  I may not have anything
really useful to add, but my confusing statements may clarify
something for someone (maybe even me).  Let's start here:

  We're looking at an anacron job.  Looking at
/var/spool/anacron/cron.daily tells us only:

20010203

& that isn't the least bit helpful.  Then
/etc/cron.daily/0anacron says:

anacron -u cron.daily

Nothing helpful here either.

  Can't just delete it though -- it may be important.

> --------------------------
> slocate.db is a list of *.dll (obviously Windows files)    Why?????
> Another file (/usr/bin/slocate.cron) is as follows:
>     "udf,nfs,smbfs,ncpfs,proc,devpts,iso9660,usvdevfs" -e
> "/tmp,/var/tmp,/usr/tmp,/afs,/net"

  Odd that your slocate.db would, if I understand you correctly,
only list the dll files in your Windows partition.  This database
is supposed to list all the files on all filesystems on your
system.  Mine does this.

  We know that db2 is either ~the~ slocate database or is related
to it.  We had to manually install slocate, so we have a use for
the locate command (one I use often).  We ~could~ just remove the
software & delete the anacron job & be done with it, but, again,
we have a need for locate.

  I should think that maybe if we could tell slocate to only do
ext2 instead of vfat partitons, we'd be set.  Trouble is, as you
show above, there is nothing about any vfat or related fs -- only
smb, & I don't even have samba installed.  What's more, mine
appears to be a little different than yours:

/usr/bin/slocate -u -f
"udf,nfs,smbfs,ncpfs,proc,devpts,iso9660,usbdevfs"

  Do you run samba, Jacqueline?

  And what are udf, ncp?  I assume file systems, but I'm not
familiar with them, though only the udf (of these two) are common
in both ours.

> --------------------------
> The following files (/var/spool/cron/ directory) consist of numbers that
> don't seem to follow the date and time format:
>     cron.daily -- 20010131
>     cron.weekly -- 20010127
>     cron.monthly -- 20010127

  Again, this isn't helping.  No offense to you Jacqeline -- I'm
attacking the coders (as I often do;-).

> At this point, I just want to get rid of the DB2 message!

  Heh.  If only coders used their own wares, we'd all be
happy:-).

  I don't find it at all odd that root, etc have no
crontabs...though I remember in RedHat they had after first boot.
Mandrakesoft had evidently decided to put those jobs elsewhere &
I guess no user -- including root -- has a crontab till they
create one.  Good or bad, I can't say, but I agree -- I want that
message to go away too.

  You've done a lot of research here, but I'm not so sure it's
going to do us any good short of making you more aquainted with
how lm handles cron jobs (which I find more confusing that when
I'd fist started looking at cron docs to set up my first
fetchmail job back in RedHat).

  Well, short of knowing that slocate runs daily & at any bootup
& that we have a need, the material we have available to us just
isn't helping us figure out how to fix it (though I know this
either wouldn't happen in other distros or that it'd be easier to
fix if it did).  No complaints in this respect to Mandrakesoft,
as I've said before, I perfer this to RH, but what's the deal?
These cron entries aren't like anything I've seen before.

  Maybe if we concentrate on how we get slocate to ignore our
Windows partitions...?

  Meph

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux