> Does it just avoid these sectors? Or am I in for corrupted
> files and lost data?

  You will be if you use it as is -- assuming ~anything~ even
writes to it without complaint.  Run fscheck on it.  There are
lots of differnet options available in the man file.

  I have a few 580MB drives & one 1.6MB drive I intend to run
through that eventually.  At work, if a drive fails, they run
only dos scandisk on the drives.  If they fail, they go in the
trash...or in my shoulder bag;-).

  Meph

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux