Well, I'm still learning.  I picked up an almost useless book back in the
beginning:  Linux complete compiled by Grant Taylor.  I am recommending that
you do *not* get that one.  I hear "Running Linux" is good, tho I haven't
bought it yet.  Basically, I did just what Tom suggested, and read all the
posts here and on alt.os.linux.mandrake.  I occasionally asked a question,
but mostly I just waited for someone else to ask first if I couldn't find it
in a search.  Oh, and the best teacher has been to just go for it and even
mess it up.  Fixing broken things is the best way to learn for me.

-s