Tanggal 09 Feb 2001, Sridhar Dhanapalan mengatakan,
> rebooted. The kernel startup halted when trying to mount the new
> ReiserFS partition as /, giving an error.

what was the error said?

> After some failed attempts
> at fixing this, I just decided to do a minimal upgrade of Mandrake 7.2
> *over* my ReiserFS data (I know this isn't the best way but it's all I
> could think of by then) .
> I installed as little as possible, trying to
> keep track of what was changed by the installer. The main reason for
> this was to make the ReiserFS partition fully bootable, nothing else.

i have 4 partitions on my linux.
- /  (ext2, 10mb)
- linux-swap
- /usr (reiser)
- /home (reiser, it 'reisered' since i got 2.4.1. kernel)

if you notice my / is small because i made symlinks from /usr for
/tmp, /opt, /mnt, /cdrom, /var etc (its 2.5gb /usr)
the biggest part of my / partition are 2 kernel which i put on /boot
and / (why i put my kernels to /vmlinuz is a different story :))

and i Always failed to make my / become reiser.
the error boot-initial message would be
"no init found. try passing init option to kernel"
if i move my / to a reiser partition (i also keep the ext2 / for
backup and put them to lilo.conf, and edit my fstab)

sometimes, this 10mb ext2 really annoys me, even it only took secs to
fsck :)

> Now all is/seems well with my system. Nevertheless, I shall keep my
> backups in handy just in case...

yep, backup is always good.

> Thanks to all who have tried to help me through my ordeal over the
> past week or so. My system feels a bit faster now. Next step for me
> will be compiling a kernel and packages I use often (which is why I
> asked all those compilation questions previously).

did you put reiserfs as a module ?
my suggestion is to make it include to the kernel.
as you see, you and i have similiar problem, failed to boot from
reiser partition.

--
Ribbo

"Didn't think I'd be fighting cheerleaders."
        -- Doom , Quake 3 Arena