Hi,

I have compiled the new 2.4 kernel and everything seems to have gone OK, but
I can't boot into it. All of the on-line "how to compile and install a new
kernel" web pages end up talking about configuring lilo but I am using grub
(+ Mandrake 7.1 with upgraded KDE, developer tools etc.)

I think that my problem is just that I have not configured things correctly
for grub. Can anyone give me advice on this procedure. (I have found grub
documentation (in the doc/ directory, info doc and the on-line page) less
than helpful in this regard.)

Here is what I have done:

Downloaded the source for kernel 2.4.1 to my /root directory

extracted the tarball with
 % tar -zxvf linux-2.4.1.tar.gz

cd to the resultant linux/ directory and configured the kernel with the
graphical tool:
 % make xconfig

and then:
 % make dep
 % make clean
 % make bzImage
 % make modules
 % make modules_install

then I moved and renamed both bzImage and System.map
 % mv /arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.1
 % mv System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.1

and finally deleted the existing symlinks for System.map and vmlinuz and
made new ones linked to those new files:
 % rm System.map
 % rm vmlinuz
 % ln -s System.map-2.4.1
 % ls -s vmlinuz-2.4.1 vmlinuz

So far everything proceeded just fine with no complaints. I figured that the
grub menu.lst just needed a bit of tweaking (to removed references to initrd
that I don't need) and I would be good to go.

... But no. On reboot after the grub time delay I get some message about
decompressing the kernel and asking me to wait ... and that is all. It
doesn't go anywhere after that. I can still boot into the old kernel
(Linux_old) just fine.

I have deleted everything that I described above and did it all over again
thinking I must have made a mistake but it has the same results. Finally I
tried the step that all of the "how to compile a kernel" web sites end on
and added a new section to the lilo.conf file and ran:
 % lilo

Now on reboot grub is gone, lilo is taking it's place and it still stops
just after the "decompressing kernel" message.

How do I get grub back working? How do I properly configure grub for the new
kernel? And what else have I missed to get 2.4.1 to boot properly.

Sincere thanks in advance,

Craig Hagerman