On 10 Feb 2001 05:11:13 -0800,  wrote:
>  When you re-compile you'll need to 'make mrproper' before 'make
> xconfig'  and edit the Makefile to at least uncomment the line
>     export  INSTALL_PATH=/boot

No, you don't have to do "make mrproper" before you re-compile a kernel.
This will also remove your previously chosen options, so you'll have to
choose them all over again.

> >  % make xconfig
> > and then:
> >  % make dep
> >  % make clean
> >  % make bzImage
>
> you didn't do a 'make install'   here

"Make install" is not required, especially if you want to run multiple
versions of the kernel. All it means is that you have to do the next
steps (copying, symlinking, running lilo, etc) yourself.

> > then I moved and renamed both bzImage and System.map
> >  % mv /arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.1
> >  % mv System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.1
> > and finally deleted the existing symlinks for System.map and vmlinuz
> > and made new ones linked to those new files:
> >  % rm System.map
> >  % rm vmlinuz
> >  % ln -s System.map-2.4.1
> >  % ls -s vmlinuz-2.4.1 vmlinuz
>
>     all that would be unnecessary.  I usually clean up uneeded links
> and files in /boot, after I get the new kernel to boot successfully.

Doing it this way makes it easier to run multiple versions of the
kernel.

>   If you need/want ramdisk support, you do need a initrd if you want a
> to be able to boot the kernel.  'man initrd'  if so, after 'make
> modules_install'  the next step is
>
>  mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.1.img  2.4.1

I compile ramdisk support in, but do NOT do the mkinitrd command. Works
fine.