On Saturday 10 February 2001 04:40 pm, s wrote:
> Tom,
> I have been trying to use the 'vanilla' kernel and believe as you
> suggest that this is where my supermount troubles lie.  I have
> checked all the cooker mirrors that will work for me and can only
> locate source-rpms and not the src.rpms.  Would you be so kind as to
> post your favorite link(s) for the download of these more recent
> kernels src.rpms?
> TIAAA,
> -s

    I've only d/l'd the kernel...src.rpm once. I don't remember the
exact version 2.4, but 'rpm --rebuild' didn't produce kernel*.rpms as I
expected, but just unpacked source into /usr/src/<k-version>  NBD, I
just compiled from that, but usually I prefer to get the kernel
source/header/utils/docs rpms and install those.  eg,
kernel-doc-2.4.1-4mdk.i586.rpm      kernel-source-2.4.1-4mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-headers-2.4.1-4mdk.i586.rpm  kernel-utils-2.4.1-4mdk.i586.rpm
   from the list of cooker mirrors
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/cookerdevel.php3

  Of those sites, the ones with the ++ designation are the most up to
date and complete.  'Course where you are makes a lot of difference.
>From where I'm at in Texas, I have the best results with the French and
German sites, ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrake-devel/  and
ftp://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/pub/linux/Mandrake/devel   and the one in
the USA  ftp://ftp.wtfo.com/pub/linux/mandrake-devel/

    Now, here's where a good d/l butler is invaluable. I use nt
(Webdownloader for X).  When I d/l the 2.4.1 I'm using right now, I
started at the usually good uni-bayreuth site, but several mb's into it
it got real slow, so I stopped and switched to the wtfo site, and nt
picked it up and resumed ... no problem, nothing lost.
--
Tom Brinkman             [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Galveston Bay