On Wednesday 14 February 2001 08:37 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> keith dalpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > totally new in the old world i came from dos/widoze
> you would type cd/dir to change directories
> could some one please show me a type of directory change command
> i would be greatful
>   Check out http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/commands/index.html
> for basic command structure. -Dale

>From a command shell, run this command

       whatis `ls /sbin` >> commands.txt

(note that those are BACKTICK marks)

    Do the same thing for /usr/sbin, /bin, /usr/local/bin,
/usrX11R6/bin, etc.  This will output one-line descriptions of well
over 2500 commands.  Eventually, type "less commands.txt" to read the
file.  Then use either 'man' or 'info' to learn more about each
commands capability.
--
Tom Brinkman             [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Galveston Bay