One book that's been tremendously helpful to me is Linux System Commands,
by Patrick Volkerding and Kevin Reichard from M&T Books. It lets you look
up commands by function, name, or DOS equivalent, and gives pretty
thorough descriptions of the commands and their arguments/options.

peace,

Rog
http://www.slammingrooves.com
Registered Linux user #19071