shygrrl wrote:

> what version of X =)

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here--just because this happened to
me with a Windows machine once.  My machine would spontaneously reboot,
for no discernible reason and with no apparent pattern.  Re-installing
the operating system didn't fix it.  It turned out that I had a bad
network card.  Now why that card would work perfectly well most of the
time and once in a while reboot the machine, I have no idea, but when I
changed it out the problem stopped completely.
So, I think you have a problem with machine hardware.  Not necessarily
your nic, maybe your processor fan?  Are you sure your fan is running at
full rpm?  Possible heat issue here.  I'm an overclocker, and I've seen
exactly that symptom with a chip that wouldn't run at the o.c.'d
setting.  Could be a bad  motherboard, too, but that's a worst case
scenario.