* walter hanagriff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [11 Feb 01 16:40]:
> I reasked my original questions with this info incase somebody has
> already tested it with a quantum fireball

Everything I have read says before you tinker with your hardware,
back-up your files!

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html is the
article I used.  "If you are using current hardware (i.e. your dirve
AND controller AND motherboard were manufactured in the last two to
three years), you are at considerably lower risk." but adds that
every user is responsible for the well-being of his box.

Very safe options are listed as -c3 and -m16 with more adventuraous
options listed as -X34, (or) -X66, -d1, and -u1.

For myself, I used -c1 -m16 -u1 and doubled my throughput.

Good hunting
--
Kipling+