On Wednesday 21 February 2001 01:18, you wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Miark,

My reply is inline..

> I updated from KDE 2.0 to 2.0.1. It just didn't work, so I
> figured I may as well try 2.1. So I did, and it worked
> great. But after running 2.1 twice, X is dead (which may
> very well be a coincidence). I can't run KDE, Gnome, or
> anything else. This is what the tail end of the log says:
>
> ---------------
>
>  The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
>  > Error:        Can't find file "pc" for symbols include
>  >               Exiting
>  >               Abandoning symbols file "default"
>
>  Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
>  Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
>  Could not init font path element unix/:-1, removing from
>  list!
>
>  Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'

I had this exact same problem and found that if I went into BIO's and
disabled asign irq for vga that the problem went away also double check
all of your irq's that PNP ( Plug in Pray ) are asigning, quite a few times
I've seen linux installs go south because of a resource conflict.

Regards,

Scott