I too am having the same problem with my HP Pavilion laptop. I finally got it going the second time trying to install. The first time it wouldn't accept installation and I had no touchpad control. The second after nearly three months accepted installation and Xconfiguration was able to recognize and configure my Trident Blade graphics card.

The reall problem is that I cannot get past the login window. I can move the cursor around but I cannot highlight my icon for logging in and the laptop seems to stop and resume in regular intervals. I tried rebooting and but it just kept stopping and running without letting me login.

Newbie who finally got a Mandrake Linux to install but cannot not get past the gate.

Robert