I suspected that was how you were installing and using the themes. That
too explains why you're having trouble using the themes and getting them
to work. Really, there's nothing mystical about using the themes or
Theme Manager. It's one of the easiest apps to use. That is provided you
"add" the themes in the proper manner.  ;-)

The correct way to add and use themes with KDE's theme manager is to
just simply download the theme.tar.gz files to a dir somewhere on your
filesystem. Open Theme Manager and click on the "add" button. Navigate
to the dir where the desired theme to be installed is and choose that
file. Theme Manager does the rest. That's "all" there is to it.

TM opens, untars, and installs "all" the theme files to a predetermined
place for "it's" use and the user doesn't and shouldn't have anything to
do with that. All the user is required to do is to choose the theme they
wish to use and tell TM to "add" it to it's list of themes that are
being loaded and used on the system.

That's all there is to it.

--
Mark

"If you don't share your concepts and ideals, they end up being
worthless,"
       "Sharing is what makes them powerful."

Mark,

After changing the filter from *.ktheme to *.* I still cannot see the
themes.tar.gz.
The filter always resets. Is there another file, perhaps with the
default settings to open the themes, untar, and install? By the way, can
you see all of your theme.tar.gz files through the theme manager in
KDE2.1 beta 2?

Thanks for your help.

--
Roman