Richard,
    You must become "root" to change configurations rather than just
a regular user. Root can do powerful (and potentially disastrous) changes
to your system, so best not to be "root" all the time.
    The command line:
su
which stands for super user, asks for root's login and password. While
you're root, the prompt changes from "$" to "#".

Your install script failed to correctly configure X, since your screen went
blank. As root, try running Xconfigurator.

You can do RPM installs from a command line, here's an example:
rpm -ivh foo-1.0-1.i586.rpm