I just installed Linux-Mandrake 7.2 Powerpack Deluxe on a HP Vectra VL. It
had successfully been running Redhat 6.1, but I wanted to play. So here I
am :)

I can't get the network card to work. According to HardDrake 0.9.3, it's
an Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Model: 79c970 [PCnet LANCE] Kernel
Module: pcnet32, Bus type: PCI.

When I did the installation, it came up with an error and the card was not
configured. However, when booting, New Hardware recognized the card and I
configured it there.

The dmesg log says:

"lance.c: Module autoprobing not allowed. Append "io-)xNNN" values." What
does that mean?

The syslog reports:

/etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/modules.dep. It also says
"isnmod: /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/net/lance.o: init_module: Device or
resource busy" and then goes on to note: Hint: insmod errors can be caused
by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters. I
noticed when surfing google, that you are not supposed to manually
configure IRQ parameters for PCI devices, so I don't know what this means.

When I use Drakconf and try to configure the card, I get an "error in
modprobe call: /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/net/sktr.o: init_module: Device
or resource busy. /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/net/sktr.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/net/sktr.o
failed. /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/net/sktr.o: insmod th0 failed"

Basically any attempt to bring up the interface eth0 fails and eth0
initialization delaying. I know I have my network file and network-scripts
configured correctly, copying them from the past Redhat install.

How can I fix this? Any help much appreciated. I must say I love Mandrake,
it is a really slick Linux version and I can hardly wait to play! Thank
you.

Gary