On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, you wrote:
> On Monday 26 February 2001 16:01, you wrote:
> > > I took the suspect ram sticks back to the shop where I bought them and
> > > the
> >
> > tech put it in a windows box and booted it up. It booted right up, so
> > they said the memory was tested ok. They gave me an exchange anyway, but
> > I thought it interesting that their test was to boot it and let the bios
> > test tell them if it was ok. That's fine i'm back to 256M and it was
> > instantly recognized in LM7.2 on boot.  Dennis M.
>
> First off I'm glad you have your memory problem solved and I'll bet it was
> an incompatibility, however if any of the Tech's that work for me ever used
> the method you just described to troubleshoot a memory problem they would
> be in the unemployment line...  In my shop we have an SP3000 for testing
> Simms and Dimms and as a standard practice if they test good we exchange
> the memory with another brand and always make sure we are matching the same
> speed..
>
> My advice find a better shop with professional Tech's.
>

> Scott Faulkner

Thanks, I will try to take your advice. I have not looked around that much
since this place is only about a mile from my house and I can buy OEM stuff
there when I am building or upgrading something. I'll check with folks in my
office about a good tech shop.  I ran the memtest86 on the other 2 computers
and they checked out ok. Again, thanks for the advice, I'll try.
--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842