Patrick, During a normal bootup, you can press "Shift" key and the Letter "I"
(eye not ell) , and go into the interactive mode. Go to a text interface,
login as root, and run "mouseconfig" . It will select the mouse for you and
everything should run fine. Run the  "shutdown -r now" command and when you
get to your desktop everything shoud work.

--
Dan LaBine

Registered Linux User #190712