At 19:48 03.03.2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Thinnet networks are subject to something akin to "standing waves".
>
>The signal "bounces" off of one end of the cable and back. This results in
>an "echo" which is 180 degrees out of phaze with the next incoming wave...
>
>The two cancel out and you end up with a dead spot on the cable, where if
>you plug something in, you get no response.
>
>The Ethernet terminators are there to reduce or eliminate this, which is why
>they are at the physical "ends" of the cable.
>
>They are not always successful.
>
>You may be seeing the same.

i switched terminators to no avail.....

>You may have a bad "T" connector as well. I've seen more bad "T" connectors
>than one would expect.
>
>Check your lan cables. Make sure that the center pin is not being pushed
>into the socket when you plug it into the Ethernet card or T connector.

ah...i checked the lan cables and indeed 1 of the 2 center pins was pushed
into the socket.
i pulled it out to make sure it hits the receptacle.

and i noticed that the center pins of the 2 T connectors i was using, were
not as long as the center pins in 2 other T-connectors.
so i switched them too.
but it still doesnt work.

>  This
>will also cause problems. The center pin must not move so it can penetrate
>the receptacle.
>
>Since your LAN setup worked for awhile look for a physical problem of some
>sort.

mhm...i too think it has to be something physical, i tink i will buy a new
cable/connectors/resistors...
maybe it helps.

thx..

--quay