M J wrote:

> > > Hi Eric,
> > >
> > > I have noticed that in mandrake 8 some dev are differend than in 7.2
> > >
> > > I am not near my linux so this is what I remember
> > >
> > > open cd-player and find preferences or someting like that
> >

> >I did not see any icon or drop-down list cd cd-player(from kde,
> >multimedia, sound) named preferences,
> >   I tried KMid , try to open file from /mnt/cdrom it show blank on that
> >location even I put the Filter content as *(mean any files)  or
> >/dev/cdrom it reponse /dev/cdrom is not a regular file>
> >
> >hope to see your help again or any successful uers 's help
> >
> >sincere
> >eric
> >

> This is how it is done in 7.2 it should be same in 8.0 beta
>
> I think it is kde -> multimedia ->sound ->CD palyer.
>
> it should open the player.
> below there are some boxes, 4 from left should be box with hammer and
> something else.
>
> push that and it should open kscd configutation
> -> KSCD Options there is line CDROM device.
> check what is in that box. is someting like /dev/cdrom or /mnt/cdrom
>
> try those if there are not any text.
>
> if those do not work try /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd if you have more than
> 2 cdrom or dvd.
>
> if you can read data from cdrom, look what device id mounted to it.
>
> use command mount
>
> hope this help.
>
> T:jackz

it show /dev/cdrom but that is not too much useful, because I can not
read any data from my cd drive(hda) , I tried
 mount  -t ext2  /dev/hda   /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/hda is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda,
       or too many mounted file systems

do you know what is fs type of music cd?

Sincere
eric