Here's a funny thing!

Whenever I try to access either of my CD drives, whether as root or
user, I am refused access.

Using Konqueror, I get the message: "Unableto enter file:/mnt/cdrom. You
do not have access rights to this location." - if root doesn't have
access, who does?  My CD drives are shown under /mnt with little
padlocks on them.

Using a terminal command: ls /mnt/cdrom, I get the message "Input/output
error".

The only way I have ever been able to get round it is to boot from a
floppy rather than LILO - this is a hassle.

If anyone has encountered and solved this problem, I would be grateful
for guidance.

I am running Mandrake 7.2 (never had this problem with 7.1) and my
drives are a Mitsumi 4802TE (re-writable) and Samsung SCR232

Graham Watkins