** Reply to message from Graham Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Wed,
14 Mar 2001 09:07:53 +0000

OK, I've been there, but it was before I started taking good notes -- bear with
me.  Read through all of this first, then go to the different places (e.g.,
Linuxconf, /mnt/cdrom) and click away to familiarize  yourself with what is
there now.   Then do the delete and re-install.

1.  Take the icons that you have now, right click them for "properties" and
write down what they are now -- you may need to restore them, but probably not.
If I remember, you have more than one CD, so I'm talking multiple -- same thing
applies if you have only one though.....)

2.  Login or su to root.

3.  Delete or move the icons that are giving  you trouble - to minimize
confusion.

4.  Go to configure, Linuxconf, filesystems -- find the filesystems that are
now connected to your CD drives.  Write down the device names to which they are
attached, and the file system type (they should be ISO....).  Delete those
connections (that's why you need to write down the device names.

5.  You should now have no connections to your CD drives.  The reason we're
doing this, is that the original connection is faulty (although I don't exactly
understand what that means.)

6.  Place CDs in all you CD drives (doesn't matter what they are, so long as
they are readable).

7.  Reboot -- the boot process will try to detect new hardware and should find
those drives (they will be detected, but not working yet.)

8.  If you come up as you, the user, log out and re-log in as root.  You can
probably do this with su, but I find that I sometimes need other tools (e.g.,
HardDrake) that are useful that seem to connect through your login, not your su.
So, just login as root.

should be listed, but may not be mounted.  If they are, go to 11, if not, go to
10.

10.  Create new filesystems (e.g., /mnt/cdrom1), then go back to (4) again, and
add a new device to your new filesystem.  Use the device names that you got from
(4) the first time -- there is a chance that these are the wrong names, but they
should be OK..  Go to permissions and give rw permissions to everybody (you want
everybody to mount, use and unmount the CDs, right?).  For a file system, I
think that ISO....  is the right one.

11.  Open Konqueror, go to /mnt/cdrom1 (or whatever you called that) and try to
open it -- it should now read.

12.  Reboot your system to see if the CDs will come up correctly now.

13.  You will want to create new desktop icons (the old ones won't fix
themselves).  I don't really remember how to do that.  Try opening Konqueror, go
to /mnt and right click the CD mount points (e.g., /mnt/cdrom1).  If you see the
word "mount" in the menu, you got it -- drag a copy of that to your desktop.

Anyway, this procedure, or something very close to it solved my identical
problem with an ATAPI/IDE 250 MB Zip drive.  What this method assumes is that
your installation, for whatever reason, is faulty (since root can't do anything)
-- so you need to delete and re-install.  Try it and let me know.

- Andy