Well, I took myself onto a limb and tried to have fun with kernels. I
downloaded the 2.4.2 kernel and did as the instructions said. It compiled
greately and as it should have (I guess). Then I installed the kernel in
my boot directory and updated lilo (keeping my old linux kernel). To test
it out, I rebooted and selected the new kernel. Then the screen turns
black. Nothing happens. it doesn't boot, give an error message or
anything. Its depressing, I was atleast hoping for some upsetting
"you've destroyed your computer" deal. Having nothing is really
depressing ^^ I took a look at the lilo config file and it seems to be in
order.

Heres the main part:
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=new
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/mykernel-2.4.0
        label=new
        root=/dev/hda5
        append=" hdd=ide0-scsi"
        vga=788
        read-only

the first image is pretty much copying my first linux boot configuration.

anyone have any ideas of what I did wrong?
Thanks!
Adam