For some reason the instructions that I have been following did not get
sent with my question about ethernet card installation. I'm trying
again, and if it doesn't work this time, they are located at
http://www.linksys.com/support/kb.asp?kbid=116.

Steve Watt

Steven Watt wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have been using Linux (Madrake 7.2) for about a week now. I had no
> problems with the configuration of my first ethernet card, which I use
> to connect to the internet. It was recognized and configured during
> installation.
>
> However, my second ethernet card, which I use to share files and an
> internet connection with my laptop, was not recognized during setup.
> It is a Linksys LNE TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (LNE 100TX v.4). I have
> tried to configure it manually but I have had no luck. Please help!
>
> Below, I have pasted the instructions I have been following from the
> Linksys website. When I execute the command to compile the tulip.c
> file, I just get a bunch of 'no such file or directory' error
> messages. No tulip.o file is created.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to get my
> ethernet card to work under linux?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>
> Steve Watt

    Article # : 116 How to install the Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card
    under Linux

Supported Operating Systems:

Linux kernel version 2.2.x

First mount the second floppy diskette that came with the network adapter.

Here is how it should be done:

Log in as root, admin, or superuser and type this at a terminal prompt:

*mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy*

This will mount the floppy diskette so that you can access it's files
and directories. *Make sure the diskette is not write protected!*

Change directories to the "Linux" directory on the diskette?

*cd linux*

You will need to copy the "tulip.c" file to the correct directory on the
hardrive.

*cp tulip.c /usr/src/linux/net/inet*

This will copy the tulip.c file to the directory inet, if you do not
have this directory you can make it by doing this.

*mkdir inet*

You should now have a directory named inet located in the net directory.

Compile the tulip.c file with the compile command:

* gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c `[ -f
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`

PAY ATTENTION TO EVERY LETTER AND CAPATILIZATION!!! *

You should now have a file called tulip.o in the same inet directory,
you must copy the tulip.o file to the proper directory within Linux so
it can be loaded, and then activated.
* cp tulip.o /lib/modules/kernel_version/net *

You should now have the tulip.o file located in
/lib/modules/kernel_version/net (kernel_version is the current version
of the kernel i.e.: 2.2.5-15)

Issue the command to activate the modules within the net directory:
*depmod -a*

Then type the following command to probe the tulip.o.

*modprobe tulip.o*

Now you should be able to run netconf to setup the eth0 interface with
the local host name, ip address, subnet mask, and module type.

Host: linuxbox

IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0

Module type: tulip

Quit and accept and activate the changes

Type the following command at the command prompt:

*ifconfig*

You should see eth0 as one of the interfaces, this means the card is
installed under Linux.