Dear friends:

Just spent a little time exploring XFCE's xscreensaver. I looked
through the online documentation, tried out many of the screensavers and
tried out some of the options. Xscreensaver certainly works in the sense
that if you set it for such and such a time, it will come on at that
time (e.g. after 5 minutes of inactivity). The problem seems to be that
some of the screensavers, as someone else noted, do not work. Since
xscreensaver runs its many screensavers at random, sooner or later you
will get to one of the defective or non-existing screensavers. When you
try the demos out, you will come across one of these non-existent
screensavers with an error message from Xscreensaver. The documentation
says that you can set Xscreensaver to stick to just one demo if you set
the Cycle Timeout to zero (Screensaver Options tab). I tried to select a
screensaver, enable it (which was already checked) and then set the
Saver Timeout to 1 minutes. Xscreensaver came on all right but not with
my screensaver but with its own random selection. I also checked my
~/.xscreensaver file. I didn't see any option there to set a specific
screensaver. Has anyone had success with this or is Xscreensaver really
defective?

Thanks so much.

Benjamin
--