I am running LM 7.2 on an ASL workstation. My printer is an Epson 980.
The SW was preloaded by ASL.

Following the instructions on the MandrakeUser.org pages, I got the
printer installed and working, using CUPS, with both StarOffice 5.2 and
Netscape 4.76. (Actually, I am using xpp because qtcups finishes
printing the selected pages and then prints half a page of diagnostics
and then stops in the middle of the page.)

Xpp works fine -- until I shut down the workstation. When I start it
again and try to print it responds with "Can't connect to CUPS server."
If I su to root and type "service cups start" it works again -- until I
shut down the workstation. Then I am right back to  "Can't connect to
CUPS server."

I looked through the archives of both the newbie and expert mailing
lists and found a number of messages related to CUPS and the "Can't
connect..." response but none of them really matched this situation.

Any suggestions?

--
Doug Anderson