You could get one of those iddy bity little distros that fit on a floppy.
I've tried several and muLinux is great.  You can even dial up and surf the
internet with lynx and do email and ng with mutt if it has a modem.   You can
run it from the floppy (in ram actually), but with 4 megs...hmmm.  But you
can install to run off of that little hdd.  It even has X support with some
little window managers (that I haven't got to work yet... but many have).
It's the coolest thing.
-s