On Monday 02 April 2001 10:44, you wrote:
> This got me to thinking. I really like the idea of open source, however, it
> confounds me on it's viability.  I think it's really admirable that so many
> programmers donate their time to the whole GNU/FSF movement.  I cannot
> believe the effort put into things like KDevelop which is offered free to
> the community.  WOW!  However, the downside of open source is 1) sometimes
> you get what you pay for, 2) if there isn't a developer interested in
> createing a specific piece of software you'll be hard-pressed to find it,
> 3) if you aren't a developer, open source (i.e. having access to code)
> doesn't mean a lot to you.
>
> So how can a regular (non-sysadmin/non-developer) linux user
> benefit/contribute from open source and peak the interest in generating
> software that is hard to come by?  I was thinking that maybe via group
> sponsorship we could as a Community *pay* to have someone or some group
> build us software that would then be made, code-wise, available to the rest
> of the world.
>
> Maybe this already exists, but it would be cool if Marcia, and I, and
> hopefully a significant amount of others could lobby some developer(s) to
> build us a TurboTax clone.  Developers could bid on a price and us users
> could determine whether we could afford to pay for that deveroper's efforts
> and via pay-pal or something divide up the cost evenly between sponsors and
> hopefully generate some quality software?  This in effect would be a
> charitable contribution on the part of Marcia, myself, and the other
> sponsors since other folks that didn't sponsor the developer would reap the
> rewards without paying a dime.  I think I'd be ok with this because I just
> want my TurboTax for linux. I can't write such an application myself - so
> either I go without it or try to convince someone to build it for me.
> Money would probably be a better method of convincing than pleading and
> groveling and wishing. However, I don't know if the rest of the linux
> community could afford to sponsor developers, or would be comfortable
> paying for software that other people would eventually get for free.
>
> Anyway, what do you think?

Tax software has to be maintained very carefully.  Writing it for one tax
season is a daunting job in itself, but keeping up would be nightmarish in
proprotions for the usual-sized free software project team.

Of course, there is no need to write this software in a low-level language.
Some of the very high level languages would be nearly ideal for this
procedure, and the widgets exist to make it easily graphical and portable to
any linux (either gtk+ or qt or Tk widget sets would work, though ti would
not resemble what I have seen of TurboTax and others which nonsensically and
faithfully reporduce the IRS forms on the screen.

I could look at helping out as a spare-time activity for next tax season, but
only after I leave the US again.  I do not write software here.

Civileme