> new system (Athalon 750, 250 meg ram etc...) with mdk 7.1 and  a GoldStar
> CD-RW.  It seemed to work fine, and I even burned a couple of CD-r's and

I recently upgraded as well, but I don't have a cd-rw (at least not
yet).

I don't know if this is really apropos, but "locked" cdroms are usually
a sign of a process still owning the device which prevents unmounting. This
could be as simple as a shell still sitting in a directory underneath that
device's mount point.

> Then, last week, it got to where I couldn't mount the floppy any more -
> either with supermount or manually.  Then, the problem spread to the CD
> drive.  Finally,  over the weekend Kudzu (the auto hardware detect code,

Wierd. I haven't experienced something quite like that, but I did have
an issue a few years ago where the thing would sporadically not boot; turned
out that it was a short in the power cable leading to the device (hard
drive in my case.)

Kudzu is another issue. I had some issues with it when I upgraded to an
athlon-based system a few weeks ago. I had gotten a new sound card (SB
Live) and a graphics card (Matrox G450) and had prebuilt a new linux kernel
and a new X the weekend prior to installing the new system. I had trouble
detecting the card with kudzu, and ended up bypassing it and configuring
it manually with XConfigurator. And the system still tries to load the
modules for my old ISA sound card that's no longer in the system. Since I'm
running off of a boot floppy with 2.4.2, it just bypasses that (since it can't
find the modules). It may not be 100% what's supposed to happen but it works.