On Friday 20 April 2001 21:54, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to update my MDK 7.2 setup to 8.0 and
> encountered some problems during the installation.
> Here's what happened:
>
> a) Downloaded both 8.0-inst and 8.0-ext and burned
> them on CDs.
>
> b) Booted with the 8.0-inst CD and got into the
> GUI installation interface. All my hardware seemed
> to be recognized correctly during the boot process.
>
> c) Selected the "Expert/Update" option.
>
> d) Went through the first few steps (language,
> keyboard, mouse etc.), but in the "Format Partitions"
> step I kept getting "Cannot mount device" error.
> It didn't say which device it couldn't mount (the
> down side of GUI installation, I guess). This step
> could not be skipped and the only way to quit the
> installation is to press the reset button.
>

> Thanks a lot,
>
> - Steve

-- If this sort of thing happens you can run through the text
consoles using <CTRL> <ALT> <F1..upto..F4> and get all the info
there is on what exactly is going on. The command line on a free
console is usable too, to change or mount settings.

--
Semper avanti,                            sailing on Linux,
Harm Bathoorn                             Free evermore.