Hi all, does anyone know what this is for?

I get the message showing up in my /var/log/messages

modprobe: modprobe : Can't locate module char-major-108

Can anyone tell me what it means? and where I can get this file, and where to put it when I do find it.

Also,

I upgraded the kernel to the 2.2.19-4.1mdk on the update site, using the instructions listed on the mandrake page. (I didn't use mandrake update)  It all seemed to go well. and It is loading the correct kernel in grub,,, (ie I edited grub and put the new kernel listing first..) but at the Console login screen, it still tells me that it has 2.2.17 kernel.

does anyone know where it gets that info from?

kindest regards

Frank