I'm in deep S.....

I have been working on the computer of Her Who Must Be Obeyed, and when
re-booting, had a problem: No system; had a closer look, I had mixed up the
primary and secondary IDE cables.

I unmixed them, rebooted, and now the partition with her home dir wont mount,
she's loosing three weeks email and work and my name is Mud  ;-(

The error message I get is
e2fsck: Bad magic number in superblock while trying to open /dev/hdc

Then it advises me to try e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

I have tried it, with various block numbers, but to no avail.

Any suggestion before I'm sent to spend the night in the doghouse ?

-The partition shows up correctly with fdisk -l /dev/hdc
-The HD is still configured in the BIOS as it always has been

I'm at a loss to understand what happened; anyone who can explain/help will
earn my eternal gratitude for at least ten minute.

TIA,

Ron the Frog, in disgrace on the banks of the Paraguay River.
--
                  There has been of late an alarming increase
                 in the number of things I know nothing about.