On Friday 27 April 2001 18:51, you wrote:
> This looked like a good place to add my impressions of 8.0 (at a
> glance). I've been running "another distribution" for many
> years, and thought it time for a change (owing to some
> "objectionable decisions" lately on the part of developers of
> that distribution).
> So I took a look at Mandrake.
> I dl'd the ISOs and burned the CDs, and set to loading it.
> Running in expert mode, I bumped my shins on a few things in the
> install manager (mostly in the disk partitioning, owing to my
> use of LVM). But overall, the installer looks & works pretty
> well.
>
> Once up, I go the impression of a system that was designed to be
> run "out of the box". It "looks" nice, and has lots of graphics
> (great for getting the Windows converts), but it seems to
> brittle, and easily broken. I've already had to re-load the
> system once).
>
> A case in point:
> I've been working with XFS on LVM. To put XFS on the system
> requires building a kernel that includes the XFS code. Not a big
> deal, been there, done that. I usually build my own kernels
> anyway, I like to strip out the stuff I'm not using, and clean
> it up a bit.
> Well, doing that on this system left me with an unbootable
> kernel. I went back to the original, rebooted, and tried again.
> The system seems far too dependent on what-ever options are in
> the default kernel. I've tried many things (including copying
> the Mandrake default .config over to my new kernel tree). But
> it's been a struggle to get the kernel to build, meet all the
> dependencies, AND get it down to a size & form that will work
> (XFS still isn't working _ It took me one try with my old
> distribution).
>
> I guess you can't please all the people all the time. :)
> Overall, the system looks pretty good, and for the average user,
> it's a good distribution. But it seems far to brittle to do
> anything too far off the beaten track.
>
> I'll probably go back to my old distr., only because it's far
> more tolerant of my hacking at it, and it still keeps on
> ticking.
>
> You guys have a good distr.. It will do well for the mainstream
> users. It's just not right for me.
> Keep up the good work. Maybe I'll come back after a few more
> releases, and it stabilizes.
>
>       Till then
>
>               Ric

Yeah,
        I can second all of that. Frankly I it never crossed my mind to
install MDK to hack into. It's a lovely distrib to show off with,
especially to convert or dazzle Mswindows adepts :o) For
hacking/experiments you need one of the others like Slack or
Debian IMHO, as you stated Mdk gets hurt too easily.
It's the toll one pays for the easy and smooth install, and it's
not a heavy one;o)

--
Semper avanti,                            sailing on Linux,
Harm Bathoorn                             Free evermore.