Paul wrote:

> Never heard of an option that lets you do this. Unless you allow everyone to
> log in as root.

sudo is the answer to this problem.  It's on cd 1.  Install it and
experiment with it.  You'll see the power of controlling what your users
can do rather than giving them the unlimited power of the root
password.  In the graphical environment, kdesu is a great solution as
well.

> Giving someone root priviliges does not work either (I tried).

If you give them user root priveleges (uid=0), it does work.  If you
give them group root priveleges it does not work.  If you give them
group urpmi priveleges, it seems like urpmi would allow it to work since
the /usr/bin/urpmi is suid, but there is a specific uid==0 check that
prevents that from working.
--
tlyons at mandrakesoft dot com
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en