I know this is going to get me a serious heckling, but...

Unfortunately, my boss wants me to switch one of our (very stable)
Mandrake servers to Win2000 Pro (only) for a tester.   The problem I
keep running into is that I cannot get the server to boot from the
Windows install cd. It goes through bios check, spins the cd for a bit,
and then proceeds on with the normal boot. I have even downloaded the 4
install disks and run into a "disk I/O error" on the first one.

I talked to Toshiba's support desk (it's a M500 -PIII 500 mHz) and they
said that I need to repartition the disk, then format and install.

Does this mean wiping out the MBR?  What should I do?

I know all sorts of good jokes automatically come to mind, but this is
fairly serious.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Victor