Hi, Abe:

Thanks for the advice.  I am using the nvidia drivers.
 I did rebuild them from source and I did remove the
conflicting mesa files.  I am VERY confident that X is

I definitely have the libGL files.  However, they are
in my /usr/lib directory.  I believe smpeg is
expecting them elsewhere (I'm not sure).  I made links
from /usr/X11R6/lib (where I believe the mesa files
were originally) to the files in /usr/lib, but this
did not help.

I have compiled the latest SDL (1.2) and smpeg (4.3).
They are optimized for i686.

I have found that if I disable the movies, Shogo will
work fine in OpenGL mode.  It seg faults upon exit,
but the game is functioning.  Comparing the game to
software mode, I have not (yet) noticed any missing
movies.

Because of this movie issue, I am especially
suspicious that my problem lies with smpeg and my
nvidia GL driver.  I get a message during the smpeg
compilation that says it is disabling OpenGL movie
playback support.  Compiling the previous 4.2 version
gave me an error that it couldn't find GL or GLU.
This is why I think that maybe smpeg is expecting my
files in a location other than where nvidia installed
them.

I intend to write Loki (they made smpeg) tonight with
the details and hopefully they will have time to help
me.  I'll write back if I find more details.

As an aside, I am also having issues with Sin.  Sin is
made by Hyperion who also made Shogo.  Well, they
ported the games anyway.  Hyperion says that my
problems with Sin have to do with a bug in nvidia's
latest driver.  For that they said I either had to go
back to an older driver or wait for nvidia to fix it.
I'm still looking into this problem.  Just like Shogo,
Sin works fine in Software mode (albeit ugly and a tad
slow).

Other games like Unreal Tournament, Quake III Arena,
GLTron, Tuxracer, etc all work fine with OpenGL
support.

http://www.nvidia.com/Products/Drivers.nsf/Linux.html

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/00q3/000811/linux_geforce-07.html

> [...]
> and uses less cpu time!
>

> --- Todd Flinders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Abe, I am using a GeForce 2 GTS like you are.
> > However, my Shogo immediately crashes complaing
> > about
> > SDL when I try to use OpenGL mode.  It works under
> > Software Mode, but obviously that is undesirable.
> >
> > Since Shogo is working for you, would you be so
> kind
> > as to post what version of SDL and SMPEG you are
> > using?  A listing of your relevant installed rpms
> > would be very nice.  Thanks for the help!
> >
> > --- abram olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Just to toss in my .02 here, I haven't had any
> > > problems running quake3, shogo or heavy gear on
> > mdk
> > > 8.0 in full screen mode.  I have a geforce2
> card.
> > > While this doesn't help with the peoblems with
> the
> > > 3dfx cards it does comment on the general
> > "problem"
> > > of
> > > no fullscreen gaming.  I haven't done anything
> > extra
> > > or weird to my system other then to install the
> > two
> > > nvidia driver packages.
> > >
> > > If your games are runing really slow you are
> > > probably
> > > using Mesa and not glide libraries for your 3d
> > > acceleration.  There are various ways to fix
> this
> > > depending on the game.  Sometimes you just have
> > > edit a config file so it points to the right
> libs.
> >
> > > Other times you actually don't have the right
> libs
> > > installed (in which case you must figure out
> which
> > > ones you need and install them) or the game
> cannot
> > > use
> > > the libs that you do have installed. (In which
> > case
> > > you are F**ked)
> > >
> > > My brother has a V5 and runs mdk 8.0.  We've
> spent
> > > more then a few hours trying to figure out how
> > > make
> > > it work for full screen acceleration.  I had a
> v5
> > > around x 4.01 time (and I suppose you could use
> > the
> > > 4.01 packages from the old linux.3dfx.com if you
> > > could
> > > find em but they wouldn't be much better then
> what
> > > you
> > > got right now ;-) and I finially ditched it so I
> > > could
> > > have some good performance and regularly updated
> > > drivers in linux.
> > >
> > > I sincerely doubt that there is some conspiracy
> in
> > > mandrake to make 3d acceleration only work
> > partially
> > > folks.  That's just silly.
> > >
> > > If we keep working on this we'll figure it out.

=== message truncated ===