On Thu, 10 May 2001 15:49, matty mo wrote:
> are any of the following available for linux? i'm
> willing to buy them if they are...
>
> civilizationII

FreeCiv is a damn awesome game. They started before CivII was made,
aiming to make a CivI clone. This can be seen in the design, with many
elements taken from both CivII (e.g. advances & units) and CivI (e.g.
non-isometric view). It's great to play online or over a network. The
main thing I miss about it, however, is its lack of support for
diplomacy (which pretty-much means you're at war all the time with the
computer). It's clear that the developers have focussed on
multi-player support, unlike CivI and CivII which are single-player
games.

Call to Power is also available for Linux. Many on-line stores sell it.

> simcity3000

Try this: http://www.floot.demon.co.uk/lincity.html. It's nowhere near
as good as SimCity 3000, but it isn't bad for a GPL clone.

> dreamweaver

There are several WYSIWYG HTML editors out there. Besides Netscape
Composer (which doesn't even hold a candle to Dreamweaver), there is
IBM WebSphere HomePage Builder
(http://www-4.ibm.com/software/webservers/hpbuilder/linux/index.html)
and Amaya (http://www.w3.org/Amaya/). WebSphere HomePage Builder is a
port from the Windos version, and quite a good programme. Just be
wary: it *doesn't* work with XFree 4.x, only 3.x. I only found that in
a readme file after it had trashed my font server a few times. IBM
should've been more clear about this. Amaya isn't a very pretty app,
but it is designed by the W3C, which means it is 100% HTML
standards-compliant. Probably the best thing you can do is to use a
combination of these programmes, using each for its strengths. For raw
coding, Quanta+ and SCREEM (both included in Mandrake 8.0) are great.

> photoshop6

Many professional designers swear by The GIMP, saying it is even
better than Photoshop. This is a classic GPL success story, and its
toolkit (GTK) forms the basis for many X applications, including GNOME.

> black and white

This game is fairly new, so you may have to wait a while before
someone makes a Linux port/clone of it.

> matt

Also, don't forget WINE, VMware and Win4Lin. I haven't had much
success with WINE yet, but I play some games (I *love* Risk II!!!) in
VMware. YMMV.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson