marcia wrote:

> Dear All, I have received my LM8 disks and I am getting excited about
> installing. I have Linux-Mandrake 7.2. Is it better to update or do a
> fresh install?

I'm not sure.  I tried a fresh install of Mandrake 8.0 and had trouble
with my video card (which isn't supported in XFree 4.0.3).  I understand
that I might have done better to update, thus keeping my XFree setup (if
I wanted to).  Except for special circumstances like this, I think you
would want to do a fresh install.

> Would I be able to do a fresh install in expert mode and preserve my
> home partition somehow?

Absolutely (but always be careful).

> I have my 7.2 so fine tuned with alot of added programs. I have been
> backing up onto my zip disks however I realized it will take a long time
> to do because of everything that I have done. Does anyone have any
> suggestions? Thanks. Sincerely, Marcia

Well, you should backup your /home even if you plan to preserve it.  Do
you want to backup your entire 7.2 so that you can restore it or are you
content with preserving your data?  Do you have a CD burner?  I think
there are ways to preserve your setup by doing things like preserving
the /etc directory, but I'm not an expert in this area.

Hope this helps,
Randy Kramer