[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What is the difference between a Window Manager, such as BlackBox, and a

> Desktop environment?  They seem to perform similar functions.  The

> differerence I've came up wtih is that the environments let one save things

> on the desktop, and provide for graphical customization of it, whereas there

> aren't many extras in Window Managers, although they seem to start and

> shutdown somewhat faster.  Is that the only thing?

=======================
A desktop environment usually requires a window manager to run.  Gnome used to
use enlgihtenment as its "preferred" wm, but in the past severasl months has been
encouraging sawfish as its default.
It'll run on either, or several others that are "Gnome compliant".
KDE comes with its own wm (kwm, I believe), but it will run on others.
I keep  both gnome and KDE on my boxen, but run neither as my environment.  I
prefer Blackbox, which readily utilize some of the programs for either "environment"
HTH,
Mike
--
"Many loads of beer were brought. What disorder, whoring, fighting, killing, and
dreadful idolatry took place there."