On Sat, 19 May 2001, Ujang wrote:
> I've downloaded few applications with extension tar.gz but dont
> really know how to install it. I understand that there's command to
> install it. Could someone guide me how to install the applications
> under linux?
>
> My PC running Linux Mandrake 7.1.

If you are using KDE, just right-click on the downloaded file,
and select  'Archiver'.

That will open a window showing a list of files which are included in the
package, and a click on the little 'magnifying glass' ,
(or menu selection File->Extract To)
will extract the files to a location of your choice.  Once complete,
navigate to that location using KFM.

What you need to do from there depends upon how the package was
prepared. There should be a readme file explaining what to do. Many
packages need to be compiled, which is pretty simple. Others can be
run without compliing. The instructions should be included, or available
on the website from which you downloaded the package.

Regards,
Irv