What version, what sound card, what type?  What have you tried?

Things are almost automagically configured in 8.0, but in 7.2 and back you
could start by trying (or even in 8.0 too) typing   /usr/sbin/sndconfig
into a console and see if it gets set up.  If it shoots you and error, come
back with it and some specifics.  Troubleshooting depends on type of sound
card it is really.  Is it recognized at all anywhere:  in harddrake, in kde
systems control, in cat /proc/pci  (if pci card),  etc, etc, ....
-s