I have an IBM ThinkPad 1450 with Swedish keyboard layout. Graphics is a
Neomagic chipset with 2 megs. It has a trackpoint pointing device.
Furhtermore it has USB and a 3Com Ethernet PC-card. Installing previous
Mandrake versions (and Stormix) met with no difficulties on this machine.

Installing download version LM 8 went smooth until configuration of XFree;
mouse detection was not an issue with this model, it seems. In expert
install mode I tried both XFree 3.3.6 and 4.0.3 but couldn't find any
configuration that would work when testing XFree setup. The installer then
complained about failure to load XKB. I decided to go for 3.3.6 (I read
somewhere that Neomagic support is missing in 4.0.3) with generic LCD
display at 1024 x 768 (65k), SVGA server (Neomagic), Swedish keyboard
layout (also tried American and Finnish) and PS2 mouse. I quit XFree setup
and went on with the rest of the install. At reboot it fails to start
XFree. At the prompt it says: INIT: "x" respawning to fast - disabled for 5
minutes (which is then repeated at five minute intervals). Issuing the
startx command results in an error message complaining about failure to
load shared library libXi.so.6 - file or directory doesn't exist. Searching
for this library at rmpfind turns up XFree86-lib as a result but for
Mandrake no 3.3.6 version (neither on any of the install CDs).

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance, Niklas