I am now attempting to install from purchased mandrake 8.0 CDs
from the powerpack.

I have a Dell Dimension XPS 266 w/ 196MG Ram.  I currenlty have
WinME installed and running.

I initially try booting from the install CD.  I get the first splash
screen with the options to hit enter or F1 for more options.

I hit enter and next I see white text on black background.  It begins
doing things - usually the last thing I see it do before the system
locks up is

Partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2 <hda5>
Uncompressing....

and then it halts or freezes or locks up.  Usually all my lights on
the keyboard come on and the computer is completely
unresponsive.  I have to hit the reset button (ctrl alt delete doesn
not work) as the power button doesn't even respond.

sometimes the halt occurs at other stages in whatever is
happening after that first splash screen.

I have tried the other options vgalo text and linux with the same
results.

I created a bootdisk and got the same results.

The same problem occured with CDs made from a downloaded ISO
file - I thought they were corrupt so I said what the heck and just
went out and bought the packaged version.

Any ideas what else I could try?