I know this might sound like a winders type of solutition,,,
first step is to go into Bios, and turn off (set to NO) Plug and pray aware
OS, and turn off any bios level virus protection, if that was allready done
and/or made no difference, I would remove all the cards from my computer
execpt the video card and retry. I would also like to say that more
information about your computer would be helpfull here.. what MB, what brand
and model HD, network card, modem, sound card, what irq and DMA channels
memory sticks, speed etc CPU, Bus, mem, in other word still need more info....

you could try removing
On Sunday 27 May 2001 00:51, you wrote:
> I am now attempting to install from purchased mandrake 8.0 CDs
> from the powerpack.
>
> Partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2 <hda5>
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> Uncompressing....
        <snip>