To all,

I hope I am not repeating an issue that has been discussed on this mailing list
recently, but I could not find any reference to my problem in the archive.  I
have tried twice to install LM 8.0 on my compaq deskpro 5200MMX, both time
failing.  First with the cheapbytes 8.0, most recently with a store-bought set.
 Install hangs during the package installation step.  After choosing
a clean install, partitioning my harddisk (299 MB for /, 106MB for swap, 1.3 GB
for /usr, 1.2 GB for /home), formating, picking packages, drakX begins to
install them.  In the case of the recommended install, a message appears right
away that ldconfig-2.2.2 has not installed properly, do you want to continue?  I
click continue, install continues.  Later a message appears about mesa-common,
similarly, not installing correctly, do you want to continue?  So I click
continue.  Some more packages install, then the system hangs.

In expert mode, after picking packages, installation begins, with no errors.
However, the system hangs about a tenth of the way in, and I have to hard
reset.

The behaviour is the same in the cheapbytes and commercial mandrakes.  One
time, after partitioning, formating, picking packages, and installing them, I
actually reached the end, and would have continued to the next step, but there
was a message about there not being a hdlist.  Does that mean drakX can't find
my hard disk?

My system has 96MB, a 3.0 GB Western digital hd, a ZIP 100 USB modem, HB
deskjet 610C printer, Hitachi CDROM, and is a 200 MHz pentium machine.  Can
anyone offer a suggestion what might be happening to prevent mandrake 8 from
installing on my machine?

Ben