To all those who have been reluctant to try Mandrake 8.0 because of others'
reported problems: Go for it!

I've been playing around with Linux on my desktop since Red Hat 5.2, and have
stayed with Mandrake through the past few releases, but I am by no means an
expert when it comes to *any* operating system.  My computer is a fairly
ordinary Pentium III machine that has two of the supposed no-nos: a VIA
chipset and Western Digital drives.  Despite all this, Mandrake 8.0 installed
as easily as any version of Windows I've ever tried (3.1 through 98SE) and is
has been almost completely trouble-free after a few weeks of operation as a
desktop (not server) machine.

Granted, Mandrake 8.0 is not perfect, but it's "weaknesses" are really my
fault.  Take USB: My system as a Visioneer scanner, a Hewlett-Packard 8230 CD
burner and an HP Deskjet 932C printer connected to the USB bus.  Mandrake's
installer detected the printer as the Deskjet 930C (same printer less some
home-oriented software) and works beautifully using the 930C drivers; the
same was true using Mandrake 7.1 and 7.2, but with 8.0 the detection and
setup are even smoother.  This is a major improvement over Windows 98SE,
which requires a less-than-intuitive installation procedure and sometimes
won't work with the 932C at all.  The CD burner was detected but not properly
installed, something I could probably correct if I'd just sit down and do a
little reading.  (Version 7.2 knew *something* was there but couldn't
couldn't identify it, much less install it.)  As for the scanner, I knew
before I bought it that Visioneer scanners were never intended for use with
anything except Windows -- and for that matter, getting it to work under
Win98SE isn't exactly a no-brainer.  I'll probably end up giving the scanner
to my Windows-using sister and buying one that I know is supported by Linux.

Anti-alias fonts seem to be a non-issue with me.  I checked the "use
antialiased fonts" box, increased the default font sizes to 14-point (I have
a 19-inch monitor, but I also sit several feet away from it), and stayed with
the default Helvetica and Courier fonts -- everything looks beautiful except
the "End KDE session?" dialog box, and that's no big deal.

Oh, did I mention that I'm using an nVIDIA TNT2 Model 64 video card with the
default "nv" driver?  I don't play games a lot, so I don't know just how good
this setup would be for demanding 3-D graphics, but for my uses it's just
fine.

The biggest problem new Linux users have, IMHO, is laziness when it comes to
reading documentation.  Granted, longtime computer users don't usually need
the manuals for initial setup and Windows users quickly become spoiled by
Microsoft's do-it-all installers; but when it comes to Linux it's always a
good idea to read at least the first few pages of the installation manual
before attempting installation.  After it's installed, you will almost
certainly want to refer to the manual a time or two in order to get
everything working to your satisfaction.

No, I don't always follow my own advice when it comes to reading the manuals
-- but at least I've learned that when something goes wrong, almost always
it's my own fault for not reading and following the instructions.  Keep those
manuals handy, read them in the bathroom, read them instead of grabbing the
TV remote during commercials, do whatever it takes to benefit from the
knowledge printed on those pages!  (And if you're really a newbie to Linux,
don't even *think* about trying to install Linux without a good manual.  Buy
a boxed set now, and leave the downloaded distributions and disc-only
purchases from Cheap Bytes until you know your way around this Unix-like
operating system.)

The *second-biggest* problem people have with Linux is trying to run it with
inadequate hardware.  Yes, it imay be possible to run a minimal Linux system
on a 386 with 4MB of RAM and a small hard drive -- but to do anything really
useful you'll want at least a fast 486 with 16MB or more of RAM, and recent
Mandrake releases are designed for Pentium-and-better processors.  If you
have enough RAM and hard drive capacity to run Windows 9X, you can install
Mandrake, but I personally recommend at least 64 MB RAM and at least 2GB of
available drive capacity; my computer has 128MB and a total (on two hard
drives) of around 16MB, which is overkill today but may be just right in the
future.

The hardware category includes peripherals too, of course, and this is where
newbies and experienced Linux users alike seem to get into a lot of trouble.
With Linux, the "latest and greatest" isn't necessarily a good idea but
checking the Linux Hardware Database definitely is.  Microsoft has the clout
to essentially force manufacturers to make their devices Windows compatible,
but Linux doesn't -- not yet, at least.  As a result, many of the Linux
drivers for peripherals are written by Linux users rather than the hard-parts
vendors, and in some cases (i.e. "windows modems") the devices may never be
usable under a non-Windows OS.  A "hardware" modem may cost a few dollars
more than the cheap controllerless unit from the same company that's
"designed for Windows", but it's money well spent.  As for USB and other
recent technologies, don't buy anything unless you know for a fact that it is
supported under Linux.  You may pay a little more and work a little harder
during installation -- but this will be offset by the money you'll save by
avoiding the "Microsoft Tax" and the time and effort you'll save by using an
Os that doesn't crash frequently.
--
Walter Luffman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Medina, TN USA
Supercharged with extra glucose! (Type 2 diabetic 5/99, d/e/m)