HW:
    Epox mbd, w/ resources set manually,
    AMD K6-2/350, 256MB SDRAM
    3Com 3c509, port=300, irq=10

Everything worked ok under Windows.

Just installed Mandrake 8.0 Standard Edition, and everything appears fine except
the network (internal LAN).  On one level it appears to be configured, but on
another level something is wrong.  When I try to ping anything (including
myself)
I get: Network is unreachable
(I can ping the loopback (127.0.0.1), but that's pointless).

The clearest indicator I've found in my searching is during interactive bootup:
        /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/net/3c509.o.gz invalid parm_io
and
        /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/net/3c509.o.gz insmod eth0 failed

When I use draknet I get stuck in an infinite loop where it asks me what card
to try, then fails to locate it and asks again.  I checked the resources, and
there aren't any conflicts.  And to dispell any doubts, the case is open --
the card is a 3Com Etherlink III 3C509b.

Running netconf, the settings are:
    Host name + domain:    me.ohmy.com
    Enabled on
    Config mode: Manual
    Primary name + domain:    me.ohmy.com
    IP address:    153.6.76.76
    Netmask:        255.255.0.0
    Net device:    eth0
    Kernal module:    3c509
    I/O port:        300
    Irq:                10

Looking thru the archives, I saw ifconfig used, so I tried it.
#ifconfig
    lo     Link encap: Local Loopback
            inet addr: 127.0.0.0        netmask: 255.0.0.0
#ifconfig eth0
    eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

All attempts to configure eth0 (not that I know what I'm doing) result in:
        SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
        address: Host name lookup failure

Got a clue I could use? TIA.

Easy + Automatic = EMATIC
E-commerce enable your web site AND sell your product on ours.  Accept
credit cards with no merchant account.  Free email and hosting.  Do it
all yourself at www.ematic.com.