well first get normal networking happening on the linux box, you should have
a network cart in both the windoze and linux box's..

connect them using a hub or a crossover cable (cheaper then a hub)

you then set the ethernet card in the windows 2000 box to 192.168.0.1 (I
think it might do it for you when you share the connection)

set the linux box's IP to 192.168.0.2 or similiar...

you should be able to ping each machine from the other...

once that is done,, you need only set the gateway on the linux box to the
ethernet IP of the windows box.. (in this case 192.168.0.1) and set the dns
up to use telstrs name servers,,,

as for which connection to share,, if you have two, one is most likely the
ADSL and the other the internal network,,,

you need only set the ADSL connection up for sharing...

hope this helps

regards

Frank.