Hi!

A few weeks ago, I downloaded and installed the KDE 2.1.1 packages for
Mandrake Linux 7.2 (beforehand I upgraded to XFree 4.0.3).

Now, whenever I boot up using vga=0x314 or 0x315 (or any other VESA mode that
I've tried) in /etc/lilo.conf, all the KDE components on the screen (starting
with the KDE login screen) have a very dark background -- so dark that I can
just barely read the text (the text is black too :).

I've found that switching to a virtual console (CTRL+ALT+F1) and switching
back to the X screen (CTRL+ALT+F7 or ALT+F7) magically fixes the situation,
until the next time I boot into Linux.

But why does this happen in the first place and how do I fix it, permanently?

Thanks,
George Petri